Sunday, April 09, 2006

 

Everybody need a hobby.

I just went out yesterday morning to visit all the garage sales in the local paper. I tried to arrange them in a logical order to make for the least driving. There weren't that many-- I don't know if it's too early in the season or what. There were even a couple of 'huge' fundraisers advertised.

Now there wasn't anything particular that I needed. Years ago I might have bought anything that caught my fancy. But I have learned that I can't afford that. So I had to be more choosey. My target was music and musical instruments. But I was prepared to buy anything that was too good to pass up, but it would have to be very good.

So I visited the McMansions, I visited the trailer parks. Way out into the sticks, and right at the heart of downtown. Estate sales, yard sales, one-a-year fundraisers. Lonely people in carports, multi-family events. People moving across town, out of the country, or just trying to clear out some of the clutter.

The highest-priced item was probably the house that was for sale (though I didn't find out how much - I assumed it was out of my range). The highest price I saw was $10,000 for a sports car. There were lots of freebies, though. Boxes of stuff for 25 cents [why is there no 'cents' sign on my keyboard?]. Make an offer! Half off!

One thing I saw that I had to pass up was a beautiful oak dresser for $150. That was more than I was willing to spend, but it was nice. I just didn't have the combination of need and ability to spare the money. Another thing was a glass-topped patio table for $5.00, which I could easily afford but didn't need either- even with the free chairs thrown in.

I didn't see any musical instruments, except for a toy keyboard. So I didn't have any real temptation on that front. I was half-hoping to see a nice guitar, but perhaps the early-birds got 'em. My suspicion is that guitars aren't that common anymore. People are more likely to listen to music than make it.

On the music front I did see a few records, CDs, 8-tracks and tapes. I generally avoid tapes and 8-tracks. The medium just seems too flimsy for me to care much about. I suppose I am cutting myself off from some potentially good stuff, but I'm not too worried about that. Like the videos and audio cassettes people record at home, I am suspicious of CDs that people burn. I don't have much confidence in them. So I hardly look at them.

I am constantly suprised by the records I find at garage sales. Lots of So-and-so and His OrchestraPlay the Motion-picture Themes of 1959, or Sing Along with Mitch. One memorable collection included a lot of 'ethnic' music from the fifties and sixties with titles like A Trip To Mexico or Swiss Yodeler Jamboree. It's hard for me to imagine anyone listening to that stuff.

So what did I end up buying? A horrible little porcelain reproduction of Da Vinci's Last Supper and a 25 cent album (no cover) of a smooth jazz album from the sixties that had a couple of tracks on it I wanted for my collection. The Last Supper I almost passed up, but I kept thinking about it as I was walking back to my car. I knew I'd regret not buying it. So I walked back and got it. It's just a dollar.

When I finally have my garage sale, people will find all the really cool stuff there. A truly weird collection of kitschy junk and far-out records. No-one will be able to walk away empty-handed. People will have to buy.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?