Sunday, June 04, 2006

 

My new guitar

While garage-saling I finally came across a nice instrument: a Montana M18-4 by Kaman (I guess they do Ovation now). Sadly, I wasn't able to find out anything else with a cursory search of the internet. But the guitar is in good shape, no cracks or warps, stays in tune, and sounds pretty.

I felt I needed a guitar because I mostly play to accompany myself on vocals and harmonica, and my Fender Telecaster doesn't quite fit that. What was needed was something acoustic. Now I have been playing some classical-style guitars, but they don't get along very well with my 'style' of playing. They also tend to have a rather dull tone and I wanted something brighter.

Playing harmonica is something new to me. I've always liked the sound of the harmonica, but never even tried to pick one up until one day a friend gave me what was probably a pretty nice one. Though I fiddled with the thing I don't think I ever 'got it.' It wasn't until years later, on a cheaper model, that the breakthrough finally occured.

Now I can play and create some simple riffs on the things, in several keys. With my rack I can play my simple guitar rythms to go with my little riffs and vocalizations. So it adds some complexity to what I do, to be able to have a couple of lines going at once. It's fun for me to recast some old psychedelic tune in the style of Bob Dylan.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?